Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chilly Tofu

Chilly Tofu
This is an 'quickie' dish.Takes just about 10-15 minutes.I was inspired by Nita Mehta's 'Chilli Paneer' recipe.I just substituted the firm tofu for the paneer and omitted the ajinomoto(MSG).
Ingredients:
  • Firm tofu-200gms (cut into 1" cubes)
  • Garlic- 6-7 flakes (chopped fine)
  • Green chillies-2 nos.(chopped fine)
  • Tomato sauce- 3 tbsp
  • Chilly sauce-1-2 tsp
  • Soy sauce- 2 tsp
  • Coriander/Cilantro -2 tbsp(chopped fine)
  • Oil-1 tsp
  • Salt: to taste
  • Pepper: 1/4th tsp
  • Sugar:1/4th tsp
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.Add the chopped garlic and chillies.
  2. Fry for a minute or two(take care not to burn it),reduce heat and add the salt,pepper and sugar.
  3. Add the tomato sauce,soy sauce and the chilly sauce,mix well.Add about 2tbsp water.
  4. Add the tofu cubes and the chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
  5. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on reduced heat.
  6. Serve hot.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great tofu preparation!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Tastes yummy too-reminds me of an Indian-Chinese dish popular back in India called "Manchurian"!!

chow and chatter said...

looks good nice and simple

Angie's Recipes said...

A quick version Chinese Mapo Tofu....go with steamed rice? I could swallow the whole bowl of rice with this hot Szechuan dish.
Just noticed that you like James Herriot....:-)))
" James Herriot's Cat Stories " was the first JHs' books I read and I was really moved and felt so sad and cried when one of two kittens, Olly and Ginny, died.....

Michelle @ Find Your Balance Health said...

Looks easy and yummy! I get fresh tofu made locally that really does have more of a cheese taste, I suppose that would work well as a paneer replacement! thanks

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Angie-I love the fact that it's a quick dish and goes just about with anything(my hubby eats it like a snack). The JH books got me fascinated with animals and of course the English countryside!!
Michelle-yes,I think that would be just as good as paneer!!

Pearl said...

thank you for visiting my blog! i loved hearing about your joint family in india.. i think it's SO wonderful and so fun to come home to a busy house. :) but of course, there are always times when one needs to some quiet time :).

chili tofu looks SO good. my mom makes a dish similar to that and i can't get enough of the heat!

may i add you to my blogroll? i'd love to see more recipes! :)

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Sure Pearl-my blog though isn't so much about recipes as it is about "Nutrition";-)

Rohini said...

Shweta, sorry for writing this late ;) Tried this dish out and came out just GREAT! Hubby loved it too! I somehow felt - why didn't this strike you earlier?? ;)) Tasty find! Keep posting!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Rohini-it's 'try and try till you succeed' for me! Lucky that I chanced on this recipe :-)

Mansi said...

Thanks for this recipe..I was in search of a good Tofu recipe and this sounds like it. I have been through your posts and they are so informative, especially the one on 'Whole grains'.